Feb 29, 2012

Blog assignment #5 -- "It dropped so low in my regard"

It dropped so low -- in my Regard --
I heard it hit the Ground --
And go to pieces on the Stones
At bottom of my Mind --

Yet blamed the Fate that flung it -- less
Than I denounced Myself,
For entertaining Plated Wares
Upon My Silver Shelf -- 


Emily Dickinson was born in Amherst, Massachusetts on December 10, 1830. She was a great poet. She lived mostly an introverted and reclusive life. Thought of as an eccentric by the locals, she became known for her penchant for white clothing and her reluctance to greet guests or, later in life, even leave her room. Most of her friendships were therefore carried out by correspondence. The poem, simply symbolizes regret, from lines (1-4) the regrets of not making efforts in putting what she loves so much out there to be published because not up to a dozen of her work was published in her lifetime even though she was a productive writer. Maybe it is about her holding something in high esteem, perhaps a person? that was not what she thought it was, like a similar situation in a "Rose For Emily" by William Faulkner.
"Yet blamed the Fate that flung it -- less
Than I denounced Myself,
For entertaining Plated Wares
Upon My Silver Shelf --" this stanza simply means even though her experiences and what she if feeling right now can be atrributed to her own fault and mistakes, yet she chooses to blame fate because she can't stand the fact she is the cause of her own  in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment